Reviews and Advice on Choosing the Best LED Candles
How to Choose the Best LED CandlesIf you are trying select the best electric candles for you, it’s important to consider what you need them for and what options you are looking for. Here’s a guide to some of the most important factors to consider:
- Style: With a decorative item like a flickering flameless candle, your most important consideration is whether it has the proper style. Are you looking for an LED votive candle or flameless Halloween candles? What color is right for you? Do you want a more contemporary or old-fashioned appearance? Is your decor urban or rustic? Many LED candles come in a variety of colors so you can find just the right one for your home.
- Size: Is the electric candle the right height for where you plan to display it? Is it narrow enough to sit on the ledge of windowsill?
- Quality of appearance: It’s also important to consider the quality of the appearance. Does the LED candle look like a wax candle, or does it look too plastic? What about the simulation metal, glass, or wood of the base? Is the flickering effect realistic?
- Output: LED candles can be very bright, but not all are. You may want your candle to emit a soft glow, or you may want it to give off a significant amount of light. It’s important to figure out just how much light output you will get from an LED candle before deciding if it’s right for your purpose. Note that if you live in an area with a lot of light pollution, you might need a brighter candle.
- Purpose: When considering LED candles, it’s important to keep in mind what it’s intended for. If you’re looking for a battery operated window candle, it’s not going to be seen from as close up as a candle that’s intended to sit on the table during dinner. Light output matters more than the appearance of the base.
- Placement: Are you going to place your LED candle inside or outside? Many LED candles are intended for indoor use. If they are taken outside, it should only be for short periods and taken in during bad weather. They should not be left outside unattended. Other LED candles are intended for outdoor use and can be left outside for extended periods.
- Power: Electric candles can get their power from many different sources. Battery candles are the most common these days because they are very flexible and convenient. Battery candles are available using many different types of batteries, such as AAA, AA, C, or a built-in rechargeable. Some electric candles can be plugged into an outlet.
- Battery Life: Not all battery candles do as well on conserving battery power. This can dramatically impact the cost benefit of using a battery candle compared to a flaming candle.
- Durability: Is the LED candle built to take a little bit of punishment? This can be especially important if you’re looking for a flameless Halloween candle to put on the porch where trick-or-treaters may knock it over dozens of times that night.
- Warranty: Is the electric candle protected by a manufacturer’s warranty? How long is the warranty? What does it cover?
- Reputation: Some companies have been producing LED candles for a long time and have built a reputation for quality products. Others may be trying to put out cheap products to make a quick sale and don’t care if they get a bad reputation.
- Cost: Electric candles are less expensive than wax candles, but they come in a variety of costs. In general, the cost of the LED candle will tell you the quality, but if you read reviews you can sometimes find a good bargain. Cost also depends on style, so if you’re flexible on style, you can find bargains.
- Features: Many LED candles come with a light sensor so that they only come on when it’s dark. Others come with timers that allow you to set when they come on and when they turn off. Some may even have remote controls or built-in speakers that allow them to serve as music players. Features come with a cost that might not be worth it if they’re not what you want.
Top LED Holiday Window Candles
Product Details: Manufactured by Thomas and Betts, this LED window candle has a yellow/orange burning bulb and is powered by two “C” batteries. These batteries are long-lasting (typically a full season), and the LED candle can be set to give off a constant light or to flicker. This candle has a narrow base that will allow it to sit on a windowsill, but for even narrower windows, there’s a small clear plastic clip that can help secure the candle to the window. A light sensor allows the candle to turn on automatically at dusk and turn off at dawn. The LED bulb doesn’t generate heat, making it safe to leave unsupervised.
- LED Bulb lasts for thousands of hours
- Uses 2 “C” Batteries that typically last an entire season
- Light Sensor turns light on at dusk and off at dawn
- 3 Position Setting Switch choose full on, flickering, or off
- Windowsill Mounting Clip allows light to be displayed on a very narrow sill
- Available in 3 Colors: Brass, pewter, and aged bronze
Product Details: These LED flameless candles are a perfect addition to your holiday decorations. Classic styling and modern technology combine to give a realistic, attractive, and worry-free electric candle. These battery candles have a white light that flickers when on to give a realistic looking flame. The candle uses three AA batteries that will last about a month, thanks to the light sensor that automatically turns it on when it gets dark and off when the sun comes up in the morning. These electric candles are made by Carlon, who has been manufacturing them for years and is constantly improving their design.
- White LED bulb will last virtually a lifetime
- When on, light flickers realistically
- Built-in Photo Sensor turns light on at dusk and off at dawn
- Requires 3 AA Batteries (not included) that last about 30 days
- Cool to the Touch no fire or burn risk
- Three Color Options: Aged bronze, pewter, and brass
Product Description: This is a 12″ taper LED candle. It comes in white, green, and red. It has a yellow LED that flickers realistically. The electric candles are designed to fit in most candle holders. They also have a built-in timer that will turn the candles on at the same time every day, then turn them off after six hours. The candles come in white, red, and green.
- LED Light Source generates no heat
- Yellow Colored Light
- Realistic Flickering Light
- Built-in Timer turns the candle on at the same time each day, then turns off after six hours
- Uses 3 AA Batteries (Not included)
- Operates for 300 Hours on a set of batteries–50 days if left on with the timer
- Three Color Options: White, red, and green
- Flexible Base helps the candle adapt to a wide variety of candle holders
Product Details: These LED votive candles come with rechargeable batteries and their own recharging stands, which also serve as decorative bases. The LED bulb is cool to the touch, never needs replacing, and gives off a pleasant, flickering orange glow. The LED votive candles come with two rechargeable AA batteries, which when charged can reliably last for 50-60 hours of pleasant light. The batteries are expected to last 3-5 years before they need to be replaced. The LED votive candles look attractive on their own, and when placed in a votive holder it is hard to distinguish them from actual candles. These LED votive candles stand 4 inches tall on their own, 5 inches tall on their stands.
- Available in 1-, 2-, and 4-Pack
- LED Bulb gives off bright light without heat and lasts a lifetime
- Orange Flickering Light simulates appearance of burning votive
- Uses 2 Rechargeable AA Batteries (Included)
- Includes Charger that doubles as an attractive base
- Operates 50-60 hours on a full charge
Product Details: This candelabra features three LED candles on a narrow base appropriate for standing on most window sills. It comes with a mounting clip that helps make it secure even on narrow windows. They are made of shatter-resistant plastic, with a choice of three colors for the base: aged bronze, antique brass, or pewter. The LED bulb lasts a lifetime and gives a white light without any heat. The light can be set to either a continuous light or a flickering but flameless candlelight. The LED candles also have a light sensor that allows to them come on automatically at dusk and turn off at dawn.
- LED Bulbs give white light with no heat and last a lifetime
- 9″ L x 1 3/4″ D x 10″ H
- Shatter-resistant Plastic
- Three Color Options: aged bronze, antique brass, and pewter
- Window Mounting Clip (Included) for securing candelabra on narrow window sills
- Realistic Flicker or continuous light option
- Uses 3 D Batteries (not included) that last an entire season
- Light Sensor turns LED candles on at dusk and off at dawn